Hall of fame
Quote fest, revenge :)
Back to forum
Thibault de Vassal (2007-12-01)
Quote fest, revenge :)
What about a new quote contest ? ;)
Pio opened the festivities : "I always say that, next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle gained. (The Duke of Wellington, War and Peace)
Any taker ? (quotes by yourself are welcome for the FICGS quotes files ;))
Philip Roe (2007-12-02 01:01:39)
I think this is original
Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men miserable.
Rodolfo d Ettorre (2007-12-02 23:53:19)
This is mine ...
Good never defeats evil, unless it uses evil as a weapon.
Thibault de Vassal (2007-12-03 02:52:41)
... unless it uses evil
A famous french politician said - in the original version (with french accent) :) .. "The Yes needs the No to win.. against the No ! (Jean-Pierre Raffarin)"
Thibault de Vassal (2007-12-03 03:04:56)
"Chess is like" series
Just tried a Google search on "chess is like" :
- Chess is like life (Spassky, Kasparov, Polar or so.. Fischer said Chess IS life :))
- A game of Chess is like a sword fight ! You must think first, before your move...
- To some extent face to face chess is like poker in that it can help to "read" your opponent's body language.
- Chess is like a box of choclates, once you start a game you never know what your gonna get.
- Chess is like body-building. If you train every day, you stay in top shape.
- Chess is like marriage. You cannot have a mate without a check. (Brian Wood)
- To me chess is like a patient and faithful lover; I may not always be there for her - er, it - but it is always there waiting by the phone for me to call and start up with the affair all over again. (Graham Moore)
- Chess is like snooker: once you slip a little it is very hard to get back because there are so many good young players fighting their way up.
- Chess is like golf, 50 percent mental, 50 percent physical.
- Chess is like the saxophone. You can pick it up and learn it, but it takes a lifetime to become any good.
- Chess is like tug-of-war, but it's also like "a cork bobbing up and down."
- Playing chess is like looking out over a limitless ocean; playing checkers is like looking into a bottomless well.
- Chess is like a symphony. The first phase of this piece was a furioso, leading to a quiet second movement, a positional struggle between two very different personalities. (about a Fischer's game)
... and so on. Finally anything's like everything :)
Rodolfo d Ettorre (2007-12-04 13:03:37)
This is something I read in a SF short story from the writer Ursula K. Le Guin:
Our difference is our beauty ... together we could build a splendid harmony.
It could be interpreted as something against prejudice or the fact that in FICGS race, religion or politics do not matter, only chess.
Alexander Minkin (2007-12-04 14:38:37)
History is a set of lies agreed upon - Napoleon Bonaparte
Dan Rotaru (2007-12-06 18:00:50)
“Everybody knows that some things are simply impossible until sombedody, who doesn’t know that, makes them possible.” Albert Einstein
[Chess forum] [Rating lists] [Countries] [Chess openings] [Legal informations] [Contact]
[Social network] [Hot news] [Discussions] [Seo forums] [Meet people] [Directory]
FICGS is also a social network including seo forums, a hot news & buzz blog, a free web directory and discussion forums to meet people from all over the world. Discuss the last events, improve your search engines optimization, submit your website, share your interests...
Feel free to link to FICGS chess server, register & win Epoints :