Quote fest, revenge :)
Back to forum
Thibault de Vassal (2007-12-01)
Quote fest, revenge :)
What about a new quote contest ? ;)
Pio opened the festivities : "I always say that, next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle gained. (The Duke of Wellington, War and Peace)
Any taker ? (quotes by yourself are welcome for the FICGS quotes files ;))
Philip Roe (2007-12-02 01:01:39)
I think this is original
Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men miserable.
Rodolfo d Ettorre (2007-12-02 23:53:19)
This is mine ...
Good never defeats evil, unless it uses evil as a weapon.
Thibault de Vassal (2007-12-03 02:52:41)
... unless it uses evil
A famous french politician said - in the original version (with french accent) :) .. "The Yes needs the No to win.. against the No ! (Jean-Pierre Raffarin)"
Thibault de Vassal (2007-12-03 03:04:56)
"Chess is like" series
Just tried a Google search on "chess is like" :
- Chess is like life (Spassky, Kasparov, Polar or so.. Fischer said Chess IS life :))
- A game of Chess is like a sword fight ! You must think first, before your move...
- To some extent face to face chess is like poker in that it can help to "read" your opponent's body language.
- Chess is like a box of choclates, once you start a game you never know what your gonna get.
- Chess is like body-building. If you train every day, you stay in top shape.
- Chess is like marriage. You cannot have a mate without a check. (Brian Wood)
- To me chess is like a patient and faithful lover; I may not always be there for her - er, it - but it is always there waiting by the phone for me to call and start up with the affair all over again. (Graham Moore)
- Chess is like snooker: once you slip a little it is very hard to get back because there are so many good young players fighting their way up.
- Chess is like golf, 50 percent mental, 50 percent physical.
- Chess is like the saxophone. You can pick it up and learn it, but it takes a lifetime to become any good.
- Chess is like tug-of-war, but it's also like "a cork bobbing up and down."
- Playing chess is like looking out over a limitless ocean; playing checkers is like looking into a bottomless well.
- Chess is like a symphony. The first phase of this piece was a furioso, leading to a quiet second movement, a positional struggle between two very different personalities. (about a Fischer's game)
... and so on. Finally anything's like everything :)
Rodolfo d Ettorre (2007-12-04 13:03:37)
This is something I read in a SF short story from the writer Ursula K. Le Guin:
Our difference is our beauty ... together we could build a splendid harmony.
It could be interpreted as something against prejudice or the fact that in FICGS race, religion or politics do not matter, only chess.
Alexander Minkin (2007-12-04 14:38:37)
History is a set of lies agreed upon - Napoleon Bonaparte
Dan Rotaru (2007-12-06 18:00:50)
“Everybody knows that some things are simply impossible until sombedody, who doesn’t know that, makes them possible.” Albert Einstein
[Chess forum] [Rating lists] [Countries] [Chess openings] [Legal informations] [Contact]
[Social network] [Hot news] [Discussions] [Seo forums] [Meet people] [Directory]